Thursday, April 21, 2016

Big, Fat Liars: The Media

People across the board have their collective panties in a wad over this race for POTUS.  I'm not sure that I've ever seen this level of vitriol, disgust, straight up hate being flung around between the various factions.  Perhaps I never paid as much attention to this process as I am now.

This election, the actions of the media and the social and political implications of all of it have consumed my mind since Summer 2015. At first it was a bit of a lark. Donald Trump was running for POTUS? WTF? I'm almost positive that, despite being a fan of his (not a crazy super-fan, but, as someone who lived in NYC and has known the Trump persona for decades), I may well have laughed at first. I know that I could never have seen coming what has transpired since last summer.
This isn't an article about Trump though.  There are plenty of those, both pro and con. This is a rumination on lots of stuff (because my train of thought is strong and beautiful and don't need no rails), including what Trump now represents, to me, in the broad scheme of things.  He's a key - one of those big, old-timey iron keys with the ring on one end, and the metal flanges or whatever on the other end, the kind that you find in your yard when you buy a "This Old House" because you're fucking bored and you need something to do with yourself - which, in itself, is definitely a story for another time.

Trump's candidacy has evolved into a key that unlocks the door standing between perceptions of our electoral process and the reality of it. I've watched this election cycle more closely than any other election in my lifetime thus far and because I've been so singularly fixated on it, I've experienced the discomfort and frustration of having  many illusions and preconceived notions utterly shattered, which is a drag, but I've also watched some of the bullshit mud-huts that have been constructed over the last 15 years or so (pretty much the insanely oppressive, current version of "political correctness") start to crack, start to crumble; and that elicits a strangely hopeful feeling.  More on the mud huts some other time. You probably already know what they are - the "triggery" words that have become the molotov cocktails of the far left, when faced with facts or beliefs that don't match their own.

For me, the shattered illusions have been of the sort where, despite a belief that the "game is rigged", going into this, I suppose I still believed that somehow, some way, that the electoral process, the media, etc. couldn't be as bad some would have us believe it to be, right? I mean, those of us who can't contain our intellectual wanderlust in the "normie" box frequently contemplate what the reality behind the veil might actually look like.  We're pretty sure that shenanigans of some sort transpire behind the scenes (and honestly, how could they not - with big money, Super PACs, strategists, dirty deals done dirt cheap, etc. in the mix), but surely our elections - the sacred underpinnings of our nation, are not actually as bad as those wacky conspiracy theorists make it out to be, right?
Wrong. So, so wrong. I'm not going to lie, I feel as if I've been unwittingly strapped to a roller coaster throughout this election cycle; sometimes it's a wild, thrilling, adrenaline-eliciting ride, other times it is a frustrating, depressing, soulless, vitriolic shit pile dumpster-fire.

This is already too long, and for that I apologize. I find brevity to be something frequently beyond my grasp.  That being said, having my 1970s-vintage perception of the media completely and totally shattered recently has been a very difficult pill to swallow.  I didn't even start out with a blind faith in the media - I've always known that there are agendas, that it's all about ratings and money, and that if it's not cold, hard FACTUAL information, it is opinion and nothing more than that. But now the last vestiges of nostalgia that lingered, for me, for a journalistic era long since departed, have been demolished and I can't unsee what I've seen.  I wish I could.  I wish I didn't know that a handful of uber-rich folks control the entirety of the US media; that those same uber-rich folks also buy elections and candidates and fuck the rest of us. Don't get me wrong, I'm not mad at rich folks at all! Money's awesome! Not being poor is fucking GREAT!  My issue lies with the corporate overlords who use their wealth, their influence, their power for EVIL instead of good.

The question that absolutely burns in my thoughts is, "Once you've destroyed everything and inculcated everyone to think the way you demand they think, do what you want them to do, what are you going to do with a planet full of broken, angry, frustrated, lost, controlled psuedo-humans?".

What is the end game here? What is the goal?  You've bought the politicians, the lobbyists, the policy makers; you've vilified the poor, the disabled, various races, religions - ALL of it - you've found insidious ways to turn us all against one another for any number of reasons. But what now? What's next?

Careful what you wish for, puppeteers. You probably don't give any kind of a fuck when it comes down to it, but as you gain more control, more say, more influence over the lives of all of us minions, you also become responsible for us.  Unless maybe you just wanted us all to hate each other - and in that case, yay you. I guess I'm just not quite diabolical enough to fathom why the fuck you want this kind of discord, division, hatred, vitriol across the globe.  What is your prize when you "win" this game?

No comments:

Post a Comment