Thursday, April 21, 2016

Stupor Tuesday II: Apoplectic Boogaloo

(3/15/16)
At last, the sequel to 'Super Tuesday I' has come, and I feel like a bookie on Superbowl day.  The press has been doing a round-robin of seizure-like apoplexy, circle-jerking, pandering and painfully transparent narrative-weaving (the intensity of which has gone supercritical).  I can’t even begin to fathom what the next 8 or 10 hours will be like, as poll results start rolling in and things either go the way most of us expect them to go, or spiral even further out of control  Who even knows anymore?

Up is down, left is right, Fox is sometimes too fucking LIBERAL for me to stomach - you get all that?  FOX, a network only a few months ago I could hardly stand to look at, let alone actually watch for any length of time, has become my shameful go-to network at this point, because with a few exceptions (including the Silver Fox himself, A-Coops), CNN has marked its territory squarely in the Hillary camp, with the occasional smattering of “oh yeah, and that Bernie whatever-his-face is guy, yeah, him too, I guess he’s running for something too, right?”  Now, increasingly, “That madman MUST be stopped!!" is emerging as well.  If I had a fucking dollar for every mention of Trump and every utterance of “How do we / they stop Trump?”, I would be rich like a mother-fucker.  Trump rich, if you will.

Watching debates and elections requires imbibing alcohol, and lots of it.  I keep trying to concoct some sort of awesome drinking game (for my super cool, imaginary, internet-based friends and fans) to play during one of these political WWE matches - I mean- primary voting days.  I contemplate the words, phrases, ideas and sentiments that have come into being and that have gone viral across the zeitgeist.  Each time I think I’ve come up with a winning combination of words, speaker, sentiment, frequency or deployment, I quickly realize that were I to actually base a drinking game on any one of the aforementioned things, I would be fucking dead in about an hour, and so would you, and that would be bad.  Bad!

Perhaps a list of the words one shouldn’t use in alcohol-fueled politically-minded antics would be more sensible.  Right off the bat, “win”, “stop”, “establishment” and “Trump” are out of the running, as downing shots of booze at the frequency these words are being used is a recipe for certain death, or at very least, an instant and scorching case of Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome.

No comments:

Post a Comment