Thursday, April 21, 2016

Meh, today. (RIP, Prince)

It's just weird when famous people die. Prince died today. I mean, fucking PRINCE.  Like, "saw Purple Rain with my mom when I was like 13. Still remember the theater, and the discomfort of the sexy-time scenes, because, well, I was with my mom, so..." Prince! THAT guy!!

When I recall Prince, the person, there are so many odd little memories that come along with him. Summer camp, with the warm sun and smell of pine needles and the chemicals used to develop film. Little Red Corvette, that I listened to at Julie Briden's house. Purple Rain, that I saw with my mom, or that brought back somewhat unpleasant memories of my own childhood. Heather, the girl I used to work with who absolutely LOVED Prince, and was my absolute BFF, but to whom I'm no longer in contact with now. Raspberry Beret, playing on a radio or something at Dave Anderson's house one of the many times his parents were away, and we had the run of the house, Dave, my boyfriend, me and Dave's girlfriend at the time.

I was at LaGuardia, headed for my puddle-jumper to Providence, years ago. Straight off the tarmac and through a set of metal doors came this man, with his cane and high heels and gargantuan body guards. He was really, really short - like, shorter than me and I'm pretty short. But my god, the presence, the aura around him; it was palpable. I realized soon enough that this was Prince - the man, the myth, the absolute legend, in all of his bad-assed glory. I doubt many people around me knew it was him - the terminal was rather empty, and he wasn't doing anything to draw attention to himself.

But I knew.  And, as usual, because I just don't like Star-Fuckers(tm), I just watched and enjoyed that moment, versus running up to him, gushing, and risking a tangle with that MASSIVE man with him.  I will freely admit though that despite most certainly NOT being a fighter (physically, at least), I had this fleeting moment of, "Oh my god - that's PRINCE!  I could SO take him in a fight!!".  If you knew me, you'd know that's both a ridiculous thing for me to say (I don't fight with ANYTHING but words) and a completely "me" thing to say. I think strange thoughts, what can you do?
When I put together all of the legends who have died this year, I have to believe that somehow, somewhere, Prince has joined David Bowie, Lemmy, and all those other folks whose names I can't readily recall (and, in the interest of being genuine, I won't cheat by Googling) and they're all having quite a jam session.

It's hard to believe Prince is gone.  What an insanely talented, iconic, sexy motherfucker he was. Rest In Peace, Prince Rogers Nelson.  You magnificent bastard.

No comments:

Post a Comment